These salad skewers are perfect, not only for summer entertaining, but are also a great way to get kids to try new foods and make dinnertime and weekend barbecues more fun.
There is just something very appealing about food on a stick. I’m not sure if it’s the novelty of it, the small bites, or if it just makes food look more creative and appealing. I’ve always had a love for grilled vegetable skewers and recently thought I’d make some, but using salad instead of vegetables. I struggle getting my kids to eat salad, but find if I get a little creative, they are more willing to try it. They especially love these skewers because, instead of seeing a pile of salad on their plate, it’s just one piece of each item that they need to try. Through this meal, my daughter discovered that she loves cucumber, croutons, and Caesar salad dressing.
These salad skewers aren’t just for weekend barbecues and family meals though; they are the perfect addition to entertaining at home and picnics too. And the options are endless; I made three varieties here, Caesar salad skewers, Greek salad skewers, and potato salad skewers. Why not try a garden salad, Chinese chicken salad, fruit salad, or pasta salad too?
Don’t forget to add a simple dressing, store-bought or homemade, into bowls to go with each variety of salad, along with spoons for drizzling a little dressing over your skewers. I hope you love this fun salad option as much as we did. I plan on making a wide variety of these over the summer trying out a variety of different ingredients each time.
- Cooked chicken
- Parmesan cheese
- Baby red potatoes
- Green onions
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Cherry tomatoes
- Feta cheese
- Red onion
- Black pitted olives
- Cut your cheese, lettuce, and chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Carefully place the lettuce, chicken, croutons, and cheese onto skewers.
- Cook bacon and set aside to cool slightly.
- Steam the potatoes until soft.
- Hard boil your eggs and set aside to cool.
- Cut your eggs once cool, roll your bacon, and insert a skewer through them along with the green onions and potatoes.
- Cut your feta cheese and red onions into bite-sized pieces.
- Add your cucumber, tomatoes, feta cheese, red onions, and black olives onto skewers.
- Serve with salad dressings for drizzling over the top.
We hope you love these creative and simple Salad Skewers from SoFabFood Contributor, Tonya Staab, as much as we do. If you love this simple recipe, be sure to stop by our Salad Section so that you never miss another one like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!