These Raspberry Jam Meringues are sweet, light, and add a fancy flair to cake decorating. A delicate twist of meringue and raspberry jam that will be sure to impress your spring guests!
Magical Raspberry Jam Meringues
Meringues are so magical. Sometimes I don’t even know how they can possibly work! They’re the perfect balance of egg whites and sugar, baked at just the right temperature to solidify into a slightly crunchy, slightly chewy, all heavenly cookie packed with flavor.
Add in some raspberry jam and they make for a truly unique dessert!
My favorite part about meringues is that you can make a ton of unique designs, and they will keep their shape. For these drops, I used a large, open star piping tip, and just made circles for the big cookies. To make the small ones, I ‘dropped’ them, squeezing and then releasing the pressure as I pulled away to get that perfect point. You can make nests, rosettes, macaron-shaped meringues, the possibilities are endless!
Because they’re made just of meringue, they are known for being a little…well… finicky to put it nicely. Honestly, I’ve pulled more than one sticky, amorphous blob out of the oven! (Trust me, they’re still delicious!)
But not to worry, the keys to a perfect meringue are two things: low humidity and time; two things that can be accomplished with an oven at the right temperature.
Once the baking time is up, just turn off the oven and leave them in there as long as possible, or at least until the oven has become room temperature again. I like to leave them overnight.
You aren’t so much baking them as dehydrating them. Once you think of it that way, it really makes sense! The more humid your kitchen, the longer you will have to leave them.
They are simply perfection! Swirled with a little raspberry jam for a spring twist, they’re perfect for cake toppers, parties…
…Hoarding them under the table so no one can eat them but you…
That splash of local raspberry jam just gives them that beautifully tart, fruity twist.
And that COLOR! These came out so pretty, I just had to use them as a topper for a red velvet cake. Yum!
- 3 large egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- ¾ cup raspberry jam or pureed raspberries
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until light and foamy in your mixer with the whisk attachment. (You can make this recipe by hand but it is not for the faint of heart.)
- Turn your mixer to low, and slowly add the white sugar a bit at a time, making sure it's completely incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and almond extract, and continue to beat until the meringue is very stiff and glossy. It should keep its shape. Give it a stir to make sure that all of the meringue is of the same, stiff consistency.
- Pour your raspberry jam on top of the meringue, DO NOT MIX IT IN.
- You can either use a spoon to dollop the meringue on top of a parchment paper covered baking sheet, or you can use a piping bag and tip. (These were made using a large, open star tip.)
- Bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes, switching the baking sheets around after 25 minutes. If you are making 2 different sized meringues, do not put the smaller meringues in the oven until this point.
- Once the time is up, keep the oven door closed and turn off the heat. Let them rest for at least 30 minutes inside the oven. Depending on how humid your kitchen is, you may have to leave them in the oven overnight.
- (It is important to note that you are basically dehydrating them instead of 'baking' them like a normal cookie.)
- You'll know they are finished when they are no longer sticky, and will easily lift off the parchment paper.
We hope you love these Raspberry Jam Meringues from SoFabFood Contributor, Cristina from I Say Nomato, as much as we do. If you like this fun recipe, be sure to stop by our desserts section for even more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and be sure to like us on Facebook and find us on Pinterest for even more fabulous dessert recipes. Enjoy!