This one-pan Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Squash and Sausage is a delicious weeknight meal that epitomizes the flavors of autumn. Hearty, satisfying, and surprisingly simple, this dish will be a hit at the dinner table!
Truth be told, every year it feels like it gets earlier. Pumpkin and pumpkin-flavored foods used to be one of the top three things I looked forward to about fall, also including fall TV premieres and boots over leggings. Lately August feels like a direct vacuum into winter. I say, “Let them eat pumpkin!” As long as it’s available, I will be eating it. What I’m talking about is REAL pumpkin – full of flavor, vitamins, and minerals. It can be made into sweet or savory dishes, and it packs a delicious punch to dishes you’d never associate with pumpkin, like pasta.
Did you know that canned pumpkin or pumpkin purée can be mixed with cream, milk, coconut cream (or your cream of choice), and some seasonings, and be transformed into the most amazingly creamy sauce? It can! I almost called this dish Pumpkin Alfredo because it’s the creamiest and cheesiest, but doesn’t even require cheese! You can absolutely use it if you want, though, because cheese is wonderful. As the sunsets get earlier and the nights get chillier, make your family a deliciously autumn dish with this simple recipe for Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Squash and Sausage. The funny thing is that I made it once by accident.
I was just discovering one-pot meals and trying to make a cheesy pasta with butternut squash and sausage. We didn’t have sausage, so I used hot dogs. I wound up burning the roux and looking desperately for another choice for a sauce. We had canned pumpkin and cream and that’s when I realized how golden this sauce would be, literally and figuratively.
Then that was that! Bonus points for any dish that can be made in one pot. It makes the cleanup the second easiest part of all of it. The easiest part, of course, is the actual cooking of the dish. This can be ready quickly!
- 1 box pasta of choice (I chose penne)
- 4 1/2 cups water or chicken/vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned pumpkin or pumpkin purée
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 12-16 ounces butternut squash, cubed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or parsley flakes
- Dried thyme or sage for added flavor
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg - garnish
- 1 pound sausage of choice, sliced
- Brown fully cooked sausage in a large skillet for a few minutes and set aside. Alternatively you could just add the sausage to the sauce later in the recipe like I do.
- Pour the uncooked penne in a 3-quart, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven if you have one.
- Add the water or broth, minced garlic, olive oil, salt, red pepper, and black pepper.
- Add the butternut squash to allow it enough time to boil until tender.
- Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Cook until penne is al dente - about 9-12 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Add the canned pumpkin or purée, heavy cream, sausage (if not yet browned and set aside), and Parmesan cheese.
- Toss and stir until smooth and creamy - the sauce will thicken in minutes.
- Use as much salt and pepper as needed.
- Top with parsley and sage.
Home Chef Tip: For a bonus, top dish with toasted pumpkin seeds, more Parmesan, and fresh nutmeg. This creamy pumpkin penne can be cooked quickly and deliciously, and as a bonus, you can add your own kinds of sausage or accompanying vegetables.
That’s really it. Dinner in minutes!
As mentioned in the recipe, there are certainly ways to make this dish even more autumn-themed. I mentioned parsley, thyme, or sage, but of course you can add your own favorite seasonings. The sky is the limit there. I also think it’s fun to experiment with different kinds of pasta, different kinds of cheese, different kinds of sausage, and different accompanying vegetables. Squash is my favorite because it gets tender in the same amount of time it takes the pasta to get al dente. This is a dish my whole family can enjoy.
We hope you love this Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Squash and Sausage recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Tamara from Tamara Like Camera, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple dish, be sure to visit our 30 Minute Meals section for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!