This Chicken Cacciatore is an amazingly delicious one pan meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights, yet elegant enough for date night. Tender chicken, mushrooms, peppers, and onions in a flavorful wine-based sauce that can be ready in just under 40 minutes!
One Pan Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
This Chicken Cacciatore is a simple low sodium, one pan meal that’s hearty with the amazing old world flavors of Italy. Ready in about 40 minutes, this dish combines chicken breast, penne pasta, orange bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and a host of spices in a white wine tomato sauce. Topped with shaved parmesan cheese, this is one flavorful dish that you’ll want to make over and over again. Traditional cacciatore recipes use chicken thighs dredged in flour, but we like to use leaner options in our dishes so we opt for chicken breast meat without the flour for this dish. The prep time is minimal, and the house smells amazing while the ingredients simmer together to delicious perfection.
There’s nothing quite as satisfying as serving up a dish that really is low fuss, the family will love, and clean up is a breeze because you’re only using one pan. It doesn’t get much better than that! With back to school season upon us, you’ll want to include this in your weekly meal plan for sure!
Home Chef Tip: To make this a more traditional dish, use chicken thighs instead of breasts and dredge the meat in flour prior to browning.
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or EVOO)
- 2 lb thinly sliced chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into 1" squares
- 1 cup sweet red onion, diced
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- Shaved parmesan cheese for topping, optional
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat, then add the chicken chunks, and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté mushrooms, onions, peppers, and garlic until just tender; about 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer until reduced to half, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and spice blend and stir to combine.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pan, add the pasta, and stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer for roughly 20 minutes, until the pasta is tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Top with shaved parmesan, serve hot, and enjoy!
We hope you love this recipe for One Pan Chicken Cacciatore as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple recipe, be sure to visit our Low Sodium and Chicken sections for more recipes like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!