Love Blueberries? You will be amazed with these 5 Incredible Health Benefits of Blueberries. Add more of this valuable fruit into your diet to enjoy heart health, sustained vision, relief from digestive issues, and more!
5 Incredible Health Benefits of Blueberries
Do you love blueberries as much as we do? We love going to our local blueberry farm and picking fresh berries to use in our recipes. Touted as a superfood, blueberries are low in calories, quite delicious, and surprisingly more beneficial to your health than you might think! Add more of this sweet berry into your diet to enjoy its many health benefits.
- Vitamin Boost – Blueberries are the most nutrient dense of all of the berries. One cup of blueberries has 4 grams of fiber, 24% of the RDA for Vitamin C, 36% of the RDA for Vitamin K, and 25% of the RDA for Manganese. Since they are 85% water, calories are low making them the perfect snack!
- Heart Health – Blueberries get their vibrant color from anthocyanins, a flavonoid that counters the build up of plaque and improves cardiovascular health. Consumption of blueberries has also been said to lower LDL cholesterol naturally.
- Aid in Digestion – Fiber is important for healthy digestion because it adds bulk to your stool, helping waste move through the body more easily, and then exiting the body. Since blueberries have a high water content, they can keep you hydrated. Many times dehydration causes constipation.
- Vision Health – The antioxidants and vitamins in blueberries help decrease the loss of vision and eye strain and keep your retinas in good healthy shape. The high Vitamin A content is particularly useful for maintaining good vision as we age.
- Brain Health – Blueberries contain a high amount of phenols, so they are often referred to as “neuroprotective agents” which promote healthy brain activity.
Here are some of our favorite recipes using blueberries:
- Want to be certain that you’ll have at least one healthy option at your next summer party? Bring this amazing Summer Berry Kale and Quinoa Salad that everyone will want to try!
- Nothing screams summer like firing up the grill! This Grilled Pound Cake with Lemon Honey Whipped Cream and Blueberry Compote is a refreshing treat and the perfect way to finish off a backyard barbecue!
- Summer is here and these whiskey-based Layered Boozy Milkshakes are the perfect adults-only treat you absolutely need at your next warm weather gathering.
We hope you find this information about the 5 Incredible Health Benefits of Blueberries useful in your quest for a happier, healthier you. If you enjoyed this article, be sure to visit our Food and Fitness section for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!