We love using lemons in our recipes, but did you know lemons have many remarkable beauty uses as well? Here are 10 Simple Beauty Uses for Lemons ranging from a clarifying moisturizer to naturally brightening blonde hair.
- Clarifying Moisturizer – Mix a few drops of coconut water with a few drops of lemon. Coconut will hydrate and lemon will clear and brighten the skin.
- Bleaching Elbows and Knees – “If your elbows and knees appear dark, simply rub with the half of a lemon and it is like magic!”, shares Patrice Coleman, owner of DaBlot Beauty.
- Blackhead Treatment – Lemons dry out blackheads naturally with their antibacterial properties. Just slice a lemon and apply the juice to your face. Your blackheads will start to fade before you know it.
- Cleansing Wipes – Mix a couple drops of lemon juice and 2-3 teaspoons of tea tree oil in about 6 ounces of distilled water. Use as a toner or use cotton balls for a natural cleanser.
- Brighten Nails – Mix three tablespoons of olive oil with one tablespoon of lemon juice to create a mixture that will condition and make nails appear brighter. The acid from the lemon helps clear up any buildup on the nails, leaving them whiter, and the olive oil hydrates them. Do this a few times a week, letting your nails sit in the mixture for 20 minutes at a time.
- Brighten Your Hair – Mix fresh lemon juice with warm water in a spray bottle and spritz the mixture throughout your hair. Then, sit out in the sun for a few hours, rinse mixture out of hair completely before shampooing, and make sure to add a good amount of conditioner.
- Buff Away Dry, Dead Skin – Add lemon juice to baking soda until you have a grainy paste. Scrub it into your elbows to buff away dry, dead skin. Rinse with water and more lemon juice, and soften with olive oil.
- Dandruff Solution – Rub 1 tablespoon lemon juice into dry hair, down to the scalp. Shampoo and rinse as you normally do. Then, rinse hair again using a solution of 2 cups water and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Repeat every other day for one week.
- Diminish Dark Spots and Freckles – Have freckles or dark spots? Dissolve a pinch of sugar in 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Apply the mixture to each spot with a cotton ball or a facial tissue. Repeat every few days until the spots have lightened to your liking and given your skin a more even tone.
- Anti-Aging – Lemon water reduces the production of free radicals which are responsible for aging skin and skin damage. Add lemon juice to every glass of water you drink and start your day off with lemon water. Lemon water is calorie free and an antioxidant.
We hope you found this list of our 10 Simple Beauty Uses for Lemons helpful and we encourage you to use lemon juice in place of store-bought beauty items. For more informational posts like this, be sure to stop by our Food and Fitness section to help you out in your quest for a healthier, happier you!
Disclosure: The author of this article is not a trained medical professional, nor a dietician. All of the information in this post is based on research, doctor recommendations, and personal experience.